Thursday, December 6, 2012

Identify the Object

Know what this is?  It's a comb designed especially for cleaning lice and their nits out of a person's hair. It's a stainless steel one that will last a long time, and it has grips on the handles for when your hands get slippery and wet.  It is one of many small items that are needed and hard to get in Cambodia where I'm traveling in a couple weeks.  Who would ever have thought I would be so excited to get these and take them with me? 

I don't want you to think that everyone over there has lice or that average conditions are unsanitary - not so.  In Asia's Hope children's homes there are new children being added frequently and some of them have been living in pretty bad circumstances.  It can be difficult to keep little epidemics, like head lice, in check with so many people living together and sharing things like brushes, combs and hats. That's why there sometimes are shampoo parties when a group of us comes over. Having extra hands to get everyone done and lice free at once makes the job a lot easier for the house parents.

Another thing I took with me last year was children's vitamins.  They don't formulate them especially for children for some reason, and many times the kids arrive at Asia's Hope undernourished and needing supplements.  Most of the children at the two homes I help with look very healthy and happy and I think they eat pretty well compared to many in Cambodia (but I have to notice that NO ONE is overweight!) This year I have heard that my friend Sulang, who cooks for the kids in PE5, has a beautiful garden in the back yard of their house and has grown much produce for them to eat.

I'm getting excited about the trip and thinking about what I will take with me.  Can't wait to see all the changes that have been made this year and how the kids have grown. I have to say that this trip is certainly one of the highlights of my year.

No comments:

Post a Comment